Monday 3 August 2015

Button Bib Necklace Tutorial


Hi,
Well here it is, as promised a tutorial for my ever popular button bib necklace. The perfect way to show off your button collection. Yes, I know its a little later than promised but I am continuing to struggle with the lymphoma. Today I feel well but am covered in spots so its a good job you're reading not visiting!

Anyway, it's a fantastic statement necklace and easy to adapt with different colour combinations and button selections. Once you've made one you'll probably get the bug and end up making loads. Feel free to play and experiment with the design and please share any photos of your creations.
 
YOU WILL NEED
  • Small piece of pelmet Vilene (20cms by 15cms minimum)
  • Machine embroidery threads
  • Ready made silk necklace cord ( or make your own)
  • Soft wool felt or fleece, the same size as your pelmet Vilene
  • String
  • Template
  • Strong fabric glue
LETS GET STARTED
 
Using the template cut out a bib from the pelmet Vilene and the felt. 
 
 
 
Put the wool bib to one side for the moment. Choose your machine threads; I like to use 2 contrasting threads as it gives a more interesting textured effect. Variegated threads work particularly well. Today I've chosen navy and bronze.
 
Lower the feed dogs on your machine and using a freemaching foot create your background on the pelmet Vilene. Hopefully you can see my 2 contrasting colours and my doodle pattern.
 
 
Completely fill your bib.





 Now for the best bit, choose your buttons.
 
 
Play around, placing them on the bib until you are happy with the arrangement. I tend to focus on a statement button for the centre  and work from there. Also I like to slightly mix up the colour palette to stop it appearing flat.


Sew on your buttons, I use the same colour thread throughout as it ties the design together. For the eagle eyed amongst you, yes I didn't stick with the original arrangement!
 
TIP To ensure the buttons are totally secure, add a daub of nail varnish on the thread ends on the back.
 
It's time to make one of those lovely machine wrapped cords to edge your bib. Take a piece of string and make sure you have enough to go around the whole bib section plus at least 10cms extra.
 
 
 
Either hand sew or machine sew zigzag the wrapped cord around the bib. If you have sewn you buttons very close to the edge it is probably easier to hand sew. If machining, make sure your foot rests on the buttons and watch that needle. I've broken both the needle and the button Grrr... so off outside to hand sew in the sun. Start at the top inside edge.
 
Once you have got all the way round make sure you tuck the ends neatly to the back of the bib and secure with a daub of glue. Then cut off the spare ends.
 


 

 Now it's time to hide that messy back and make sure that your necklace is comfortable to wear with only soft wool or fleece next to your skin. Using a strong reliable fabric glue, stick the felt backing onto the back of your bib necklace.
Last step! Machine using a zigzag stitch or hand sew the bib to your silk cord. 
Wow, wear with pride.
 
I think my colour combination would look great with blue jeans and a white shirt. Classic. I would take a photo but not whilst I'm covered in spots. Perhaps I can persuade my daughter to model it for me later!
 
If you don't have the time for this, both the green and the denim blue necklaces are in my folksy shop.https://folksy.com/items/6689903-Statement-Button-Necklace
 
Template
 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment